(Jeff’s 3rd Great Grandfather)
Born: Canton Aargau Switzerland, 1836
- Migrated to New York in 1858 then to California via Panama at the age of 22.
- 1858 engaged in the nursery and wine business in Sacramento for two years with Uncle Heinrich Thomann.
- 1859 one of the first to make brandy in the state of California, both peach and grape.
- 1874 built 200,000 gallon cellar in St. Helena, along with a 800 gallon per day brandy distillery.(today’s Sutter Home Winery)
- 1874 130 acre ranch on Howell Mountain, 45 acres planted to vineyard
- 1880-1882 Supervisor of Napa County, “Hot Springs Township”
- Director St. Helena Bank
- Director St. Helena Bonded Warehouse
- Director St. Helena Turn Verein
- Shareholder St. Helena Water Company